Roadblocks to Spiritual Growth
As leaders in ministry we need to take our own spiritual health seriously. The words of 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 are excellent as a challenge and a warning. Look at verse 27. "But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." It's kind of startling to think that if you and I aren't careful about being disciplined (think spiritually), then although we do good things and lead women to grow in the Lord, we might be disqualified. The word for "disqualified" means not standing the test, not approved or unfit. Ouch. I guess that means we need to take this subject pretty seriously.
Think about some of the reasons why we don't continue to grow spiritually. You might think of these as roadblocks to spiritual growth. Here are just a few:
- Plateaus - Just like when you try to lose weight, we have these leveling off places where we get stuck.
- Too busy - Instead of asking God to bless your full schedule - why not lay your empty calendar before Him and ask Him to fill it?
- Spiritually empty - As you continually pour out to others, you must take time to seek Him and be refilled. It's a daily necessity.
- Distracted - Be careful the urgent things in life don't steal all your time. Instead of prioritizing your schedule - schedule your priorities.
- Reputation - When you are too worried about what others think, you are more likely to ignore your need for growth.
- Heart condition - When you grow weary of other people and their never ending issues and problems, apathy can set in.
Evaluate your current relationship with the Lord. Are you satisfied with where you are right now? Are you ready for the next level? Be honest. Some people are too comfortable with where they are now. Others are not interested in change because the next level definitely will require change.
Here is a great truth for us all. Growing spiritually as a leader is not about trying harder or doing more, BUT it is about surrender! The key is to persevere. DON'T GIVE UP. Check out this equation.
discipline + practice = Spiritual Growth
Consider these questions to help you get past your roadblocks to spiritual growth.
- What areas of your life lack discipline?
- What things have been holding you back spiritually?
- What will you commit to doing differently in order to receive different results?
- What accountability do you have in place to help you make these changes?
The beautiful thing is God loves you. He longs for you. He desires for you to know Him more and more. That's spiritual growth and He is calling you to follow Him wherever He leads. Are you willing to go where He leads and do what He asks you to do?
Question: What spiritual roadblocks have you identified in your life?
Leave a comment or tip below.
Rachel Lovingood is an author and speaker. Her ministry is primarily to women's groups and to ministry wives. She and her husband have been involved in student ministry for the past 23 years. They currently serve at Long Hollow Baptist Church just north of Nashville, TN. Rachel is real and relevant and audience members invariably walk away challenged and changed. Check out her blog Rachel Lovingood: Relevant Faith. Real Life.
Would you like to be a featured expert?
Contact Us by email or, call our PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP hotline at (800) 859-7992.